10 Tips for Hosting a Successful Zoom Meeting
10 Tips for Hosting Secure Zoom Meetings
As online meetings at Mohawk becomes the norm, it is important that Zoom meeting hosts are proactive at avoiding unwanted meeting disruptions, while ensuring the privacy and safety of our colleagues and learners.
Please review and implement the following 10 tips for hosting secure Zoom meetings.
- Ensure Zoom software is updated to get the best performance & security.
- Effective May 30th you must use version 5.0+ in order to join any meeting as GCM Encryption will be fully enabled for all Zoom meetings. Zoom 5.0 clients are also compatible with the current encryption used by Zoom meetings prior to May 30th.
- To check for updates, navigate to the profile image in the top right-hand corner of the Zoom application and click “Check for Updates”
- Read the Where Do I Download the Latest Version? page for instructions.
- Only conduct Zoom meetings in private
- Make sure there is no risk of accidental or deliberate audio or visual eavesdropping.
- Leave cameras off unless required
- Use headphones or earphones
- Encourage learners and colleagues to do the same
- Share the How to Protect Learner Privacy document with learners and colleagues prior to inviting them to a Zoom meeting
4. Share and discuss Netiquette expectations with learners and colleagues in online spaces
6. Inform learners of the following items, in advance of hosting a meeting:
- Purpose of the meeting
- Whether it will be recorded or not
- Reference Ontario’s Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act
- Recording settings
- Mohawk’s commitment to safe, respectful, and supportive environments
- Mohawk Student Rights and Responsibilities
- Note: A template message that includes all these items can be found on page 5 of the Security and Privacy Settings in Mohawk Zoom Accounts document. Copy, Paste, and edit this message into and email or your LMS course site.
7. Use Pre-Registration or a Waiting Room to avoid Zoombombing
- Require learners and colleagues to use their Mohawk College email address when pre-registering
- Cross reference registrations / waiting room with your class or attendee list
8. Promote and encourage the use of the Nonverbal Feedback tool
9. Familiarize yourself with tools for managing participants (e.g. microphones, removing participants, assigning co-hosts, etc.)
10. Turn on the ‘Always show meeting control toolbar’ feature to improve the facilitation experience
- Settings > In Meeting (Basic) > enable ‘Always show meeting control toolbar’
Important: Effective May 28th passwords are required for all meetings regardless of when they were created. The passwords are randomly generated.
If you have Zoom meetings that were created prior to April 7th but occur after May 28th, notify your participants with the new password and re-issue invitations where needed.