Emergency Notification System Test – Fennell, Stoney Creek and Airport Campuses
Emergency Notification System Test – Fennell and Stoney Creek Campuses
Mohawk College will be conducting a test of the Emergency Notification System at the Fennell, Stoney Creek and Airport Campuses.
This test will occur on WEDNESAY, SEPTEMBER 13, 2023
This is done as part of Mohawk College’s commitment to safety, security, and emergency management. Please watch this short video as to what this test involves.
Students and employees at the IAHS Campus should follow the emergency procedures outlined by McMaster University.
The 5-minute test will put Mohawk’s Emergency Notification System to the test. As our buildings are large and complex, we utilize several methods to send emergency notifications. We do not expect you to personally receive all of these messages, but in an emergency, we expect you to be notified by at least one of these methods. During the system test, the following systems will be activated:
· Mohawk’s SAM - Security Alert Messenger service will send text messages.
o If you have not yet registered your smartphone for instant text messages, please log on to SAM through the MyMohawk homepage.
o You will need to send an OPT-IN text confirmation after registering (instructions will be emailed to you).
· PA System: A distinctive audible horn with a recorded message will sound over the PA system. In an emergency, this message is on a continuous loop.
· Alertus Desktop notices will be displayed on all college-connected desktop computers.
· Lockdown Test Message will be displayed on the Mohawk College Website – home page.
· Beacon display units in the Stoney Creek Machine Shops, Radio Station, Theatre, and other unique areas of the campus will be activated.
· Hallway Display Screens will display emergency messages
As part of our Notification System test, we will be including an education component through the college public address system. The education component will provide information on how to respond to Lockdown Emergencies and Hold and Secure messages. We also encourage you to watch our Active Threat Video
For more information on how to respond to these emergencies, visit the Security website.
** Employees - We encourage you to check out Security’s NEW Emergency Response Procedure Playlist which is now available on Working at Mohawk!
If you have any questions, comments, or concerns about the Emergency Notification System test, please contact:
Catherine O’Donnell, Director, Security Services firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you for your patience and understanding.
Mohawk College Security Services