Schlegel Villages and Mohawk College Launch New Partnership to Benefit Residents and Students
HAMILTON (January 31, 2019) –Mohawk College and Schlegel Villages have launched a new partnership that will see up to 25 Personal Support Worker students learn and work at The Village of Wentworth Heights.
The first of its kind for Mohawk’s Personal Support Worker program, the community campus at The Village of Wentworth Heights includes a classroom, computer lab, skills lab, faculty offices, a student lounge and a mock apartment identical to those at the long-term care facility. Students will spend their entire program at the residence where they will prepare for careers as Personal Support Workers specializing in geriatric care.
By putting a campus in the residence, Schlegel Villages and Mohawk College are giving students the opportunity to learn and gain real world experience while providing the Village’s residents with the care they need.
“We are honoured to be partnering with Mohawk College to bring the Living Classroom concept to life in Hamilton. The Living Classroom creates a rich learning experience for students and encourages Wentworth Heights residents and team members to be part of the learning environment as coaches and mentors thus bringing more meaning to their lives and work respectively – a true triple win!”
“Our students learn by doing. This partnership with Schlegel Villages demonstrates how we’re delivering on our commitment to providing our students with exceptional learning experiences that put them on the path to success.”
- Mohawk’s Personal Support Worker program is a one-year certificate program.
- In addition to new the campus at The Village of Wentworth Heights, the program is also offered at Mohawk’s Institute for Applied Health Sciences at McMaster University.
- This partnership is first of its kind for Mohawk’s PSW program.
- PSWs work in long-term care facilities, hospitals and other locations alongside nurses, doctors and other health care professionals.
- Schlegel Villages currently serves over 5000 residents in our Long-Term Care and Retirement homes.
- The Living Classroom at Wentworth Heights is the third project of its kind for Schlegel Villages.
Mohawk College educates and serves 32,500 full-time, part-time, apprenticeship and international students at three campuses in Hamilton, Ontario, at learning hubs across Hamilton through City School by Mohawk, and at the college’s Aviation facility at the Hamilton International Airport. Mohawk is among the leading colleges in Canada for applied research. It has been named one of Canada’s greenest employers for six years in a row, and is also home to the country’s largest net zero energy institutional building. The college offers 178 postsecondary programs and is one of the largest trainers of apprentices in Ontario, providing training to more than 4,000 apprenticeship students annually at the Marshall School of Skilled Trades & Apprenticeship in Stoney Creek, Ontario.