Mohawk College hosts community event to promote skilled trades & technology
Mobile workshops, interactive activities, tours were available to introduce people to careers in trades & technology
Mohawk College hosted a Scope Out Skilled Trades Community Event on July 15, a community event to raise awareness and inspire interest in skilled trades. At a time when there is an increased need for skilled tradespeople in the workforce, families, students and community members were welcomed to the Marshall School of Skilled Trades & Apprenticeship at the college’s Stoney Creek campus to learn more about promising, fulfilling careers.
Notable attractions for people to explore included:
· Skills Ontario Skilled Trades & Tech Truck (equipped with 12 different trade/tech-related trainers and simulators)
· City School by Mohawk mobile welding classroom
· HWDSB Ontario Youth Apprenticeship Program Transitions Trailer (fitted with hand tools, a 3D printer, small engine, power tools, and more)
· Mohawk College Skilled Trades Campus (classrooms, labs and skilled trades shops open for a self-guidedtour)
· Milwaukee Tools Demonstration Area (find almost every tool that Milwaukee produces, tool demos, interactive activities)
· Fun family activities including food, face painter, magician
The first -time event was considered a success by attendees and partners. More than 160 community members attended, engaging in college and partner staff.
Congratulations to everyone who had a hand in the organization of the Scope Out Skilled Trades event.