Mohawk leads country in industry engagement in national research rankings
College listed in top-10 rankings for third consecutive year
Mohawk College retained its position as a top-10 research college in Canada and ranked first in Industry Research Income, according to national rankings released today.
Reflecting the growth and success of IDEAWORKS, Mohawk’s applied research division, Mohawk has earned a top-10 position for its research activities in the Research Infosource annual rankings for three consecutive years. A decade ago, when the college first expanded its applied research activities, it ranked 33rd in the country.
“Our success as one of the best research colleges in the country is a direct result of the dedication of the IDEAWORKS applied research teams and the strong partnerships that have been established with our industry partners,” said Mohawk College President Ron McKerlie. “Together, we are breaking new ground in technology, strengthening area businesses and providing a rich training ground for student researchers to develop their knowledge and skills.”
In addition to its overall finish, Mohawk was considered among the top-ranked large colleges in Canada in three categories:
- 1st - Industry Research Income – Mohawk applied research projects raised more than $3.3 million last year. (Industry grants and contracts represented 50% of total research income).
- 2nd - Research Partnerships – 254 partners collaborated with the college on applied research projects.
- 3rd - Paid Student Researchers – IDEAWORKS employed 349 students in applied research projects.
In total, IDEAWORKS was engaged in 254 research partnerships during the ranking period, completing 71 projects with industry partners.
“These strong rankings reflect our commitment to delivering quality applied research to match the pace and needs of our industry partners,” said Dean of Applied Research Jeffrey McIsaac. “We thank all our industry partners for their support. It is their continued commitment to innovation that allows us to share our expertise in a way that benefits industry and provides students with valuable, hands-on experiences.”
Mohawk students, faculty and staff collaborate with industry, government and community partners on applied research projects in a number of key areas:
- MEDIC (mHealth and eHealth Development and Innovation Centre)
- AMIC (Additive Manufacturing Innovation Centre)
- EPIC (Energy and Power Innovation Centre)
- MTIC (Medical Technologies Innovation Centre)
- Augmented and Virtual Reality (XR)
- Industrial Internet of Things Research*
- Sustainability Research*
- Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systems (RPAS)
- Digital Accessibility
- Digital Transformation
- Student Success & Social Innovation
- Centre for Climate Change Management
(*includes research chair)