Mountaineer varsity highlights - September 30
A tremendous start to the 2022 season had the Mohawk Mountaineers women’s soccer team jump to fourth in the Ontario Colleges Athletic Association weekly rankings this past week. The team also remained undefeated after tying the Conestoga Condors 2-2 to bring the Mountaineers record to 2-0-4.
Men’s soccer could not extend their win streak to two after a 3-0 loss to the Condors, while women’s softball lost all four of their games.
On Sept. 23 the Mountaineers cross country teams participated in their first race of 2022. The women’s team finished third overall, while the men eased into the year for a fifth-place finish.
First-year student athlete Ava Snyder made a statement in her first OCAA run ever, placing fifth. Teammate Ashley Lof also finished in the top-10. On the men’s side, Matias Tessel led the way with a 12th place finish.
Mohawk’s indoor high-performance teams also got started this past week with exhibition play. The men’s volleyball team travelled to London, ON to play the Fanshawe Falcons and won 3-1. In a scrimmage versus the Redeemer Royals, the women’s volleyball team also came away with the win.
Mountaineers Athletes of the Week
(in partnership with the Mohawk Students’ Association)
Samantha DeHaan (women’s soccer)
Hamza Salman (men’s soccer)
It was an accolade-filled week for second-year goalkeeper Samantha DeHaan (Smithville, ON). Not only was she named Mountaineers Athlete of the Week, but also took home OCAA Star of the Week and Canadian Collegiate Athletic Association Athlete of the Week.
DeHaan was recognized for her performances against the nationally-ranked Humber Hawks and a tough Niagara Knights team. In the match versus the Hawks, DeHaan made four saves that helped her team to a 1-1 draw and followed that up with a seven save shutout of the Knights for a 1-0 win.
Salman (Hamilton, ON) dominated the second half in a match versus the Knights, which eventually resulted in a goal to give Mohawk a 2-0 advantage and win. This was Salman’s first career OCAA goal.
Women’s Soccer (2-0-4)
Sept 23: 1-0 win over the Niagara Knights
Sept. 28: A 2-2 draw versus the Conestoga Condors
Men’s Soccer (1-5-0)
Sept. 23: 2-0 win over the Niagara Knights
Sept 28: Lost 3-0 to the Conestoga Condors
Women’s Softball (1-9)
Sept. 24: Lost 16-1 and 11-0 to the St. Clair Saints
Sept. 28: Lost 4-0 and 6-2 to the Durham Lords
Next week’s schedule
Friday, September 30:
· Women’s basketball will be hosting a mini preseason tournament over the course of two days. On Friday, they will play the George Brown Huskies at 6 p.m. in the main gym of the DBARC.
· Men’s basketball travel to Kingston, ON to play in the St. Lawrence College Exhibition Tournament. They’ll play St. Lawrence and College Jean-De-Brebeuf.
· Women’s and men’s volleyball will host the La Cite Coyotes for exhibition play in DBARC Gym 3. The women play at 6 p.m. and the men at 8 p.m.
Saturday, October 1:
· Women’s softball will have action at Mohawk Sports Park when they host the Humber Hawks and Fanshawe Falcons. The Mountaineers play the Hawks at 2 p.m. and the Falcons at 4 p.m.
· The women’s basketball exhibition tournament continues with a game versus the Seneca Sting at 3 p.m. in the DBARC main gym.
· Men’s basketball continue exhibition play at the St. Lawrence tournament as they play the Seneca Sting.
· Cross Country will race in their second run of the year at the Fanshawe Invitational at the Fanshawe Conservation Area.
Sunday, October 2:
· Women’s softball travels to Mississauga, ON to play the Lambton Lions at 12:30 p.m. and the Sheridan Bruins at 3 p.m.
Tuesday, October 4:
· Women’s and men’s soccer will host the Fanshawe Falcons at Tim Hortons Field for 6 p.m. and 8 p.m. matches.
Wednesday, October 5:
· Women’s softball will be hosting the Humber Hawks for games at 6 p.m. and 8 p.m. at Mohawk Sports Park. ***Please note: This will be the Meagan Byers Memorial Game with a pre-game ceremony starting at 5:45 p.m.***
To read more about Meagan, please click here.