Mountaineers varsity highlights – September 22, 2023
It was a tough week away from home for the Mohawk Mountaineers but this weekend's schedule provides new opportunities, with Mohawk action happening across Hamilton.
The highlight of last week was Mohawk men’s soccer picking up a 1-1 draw versus the Humber Hawks, the No. 1 ranked team in the country at the time.
On the women’s side of the pitch, the Mountaineers lost a tough 1-0 match to the Hawks.
Mohawk softball played some strong teams as well, losing three of their four.
Exhibition schedules are also starting up for Mohawk’s indoor teams. Women’s basketball this past Thursday played the Toronto Metropolitan University Bold in a scrimmage, while men’s basketball will be playing the McMaster Marauders on Saturday. For volleyball, teams will be heading to Quebec for a preseason tournament.
Athletes of the Week
Hamza Salman (Hamilton, ON)
Salman is currently the leading goal scorer for the Mountaineers men’s soccer team, with three goals, all recorded this past week. The biggest goal came in the 77th minute versus the Hawks to help pick up the one point on the reigning OCAA Champions.
He was also named OCAA Star of the Week and CCAA Athlete of the Week.
Cassandra Campanella (Hamilton, ON)
Campanella has been a key contributor through the early part of the 2023 season as Mountaineers women’s soccer has played to a 2-1 record through three matches. Last week, in a 2-0 win over the Knights, she scored in the 61st minute and was a force offensively with seven shots, three of which were targeted on goal.
Upcoming Game Schedule
- On Sept. 22, Mohawk cross country begins the racing season at the Seneca Invitational in King City.
- Sept. 22 – Mohawk soccer teams host the Lambton Lions at St. John Henry Newman Catholic Secondary. Women will play at 6 p.m. followed by the men’s game.
- Sept. 23 – Back at Newman, the Mountaineers host the St. Clair Saints for afternoon action. Women kick-off at 1 p.m. and men will play after.
- Sept. 27 – Mohawk is back at Tim Hortons Field to host cross-city rivals the Redeemer Royals. It will be a 6 p.m. start for the women and men will follow approximately at 8 p.m.
- Sept. 23 – Softball heads to Etobicoke to play the Conestoga Condors and Humber Hawks at Connorvale Park. The game versus the Condors starts at 10 a.m. and the Humber game is scheduled for 2 p.m.
- Sept. 24 – Softball is back home at Heritage Green Diamond 2. The Mountaineers host the Saints at 1:30 p.m. and the Seneca Sting at 4 p.m.
- Sept. 28 – Home action continues for the Mountaineers with the Sheridan Bruins visiting Mohawk Sports Park. Doubleheader action begins at 6 p.m.
All Mountaineers home games are free to attend.
Games are also streamed online, and can be watched here.