15:22 PM

Overage Dependent Benefit Coverage—Fall Reminder

If you are an employee with benefit coverage and have one or more dependents who will be 21 years of age or older attending full-time studies at a post-secondary educational institute this academic year, proof of enrolment is required to ensure that dependent benefit coverage with Sun Life is continued.

Proof of enrolment must be provided each academic year for a dependent to ensure continued coverage until your dependent(s) reaches the age of 25. Proof of enrolment must include the following information:

·         Student’s name

·         Name of the post-secondary institution

·         Academic year and dates attending

·         Full-time status

If a statement with the above information cannot be found through an online student account, please request a letter from the Registrar’s Office. Financial statements, confirmation of deposit, and class schedules are not accepted as proof of enrolment.

The Dependent Coverage Form and proof of enrolment must be submitted to Human Resources no later than Friday, September 30, 2022 or coverage for your dependent(s) will be terminated.


1.       If your dependent turns 21 between September 1, 2022 and August 31, 2023 and Human Resources does not receive proof of enrolment prior to your child turning 21, their benefit coverage will terminate at midnight on their 21st birthday.

2.       If your child is 21 or older and is no longer enrolled in a post-secondary educational institution, Human Resources must be notified immediately via email as your dependent(s) is/are no longer eligible for benefit coverage.

3.       If your child is in their final year of post-secondary education, benefit coverage will terminate on August 31. Please indicate on the form if your child is in their final year at a post-secondary institution.

4.       Proof of enrolment should be for the entire academic year (September – April). If proof of enrolment is only available for the Fall semester, and has been provided to Human Resources, please ensure that you submit proof of enrolment for the winter semester.

5.       If your child is studying abroad, please contact Compensation & Benefits at the email address below.

For any further inquiries please contact: compbenefits@mohawkcollege.ca or Human Resources at extension 2047.

Human Resources Branch
August 2022