Be More Than a Bystander Training for Employees
We want to encourage the college community to participate in the Be More Than a Bystander Training coming up on May 17 at 9:00am.
The training is designed to equip you and your team with the skills and strategies to safely intervene in instances where someone is being discriminated against, harassed, or made to feel uncomfortable, either online or in-person. The training will help gain a deeper understanding of gender-based and sexual violence (GBSV), increase your knowledge around types of gendered violence, sexual violence, and consent, and begin to build capacities for intervening in GBSV via learning about the bystander model.
- Be able to define and identify types of unacceptable norms and behaviors that sustain or perpetuate sexual and gender-based violence
- Gain an understanding of the role and responsibility of a bystander
- Enhance their skills in identifying risky and harmful situations where a bystander intervention may be appropriate
- Have the opportunity to work through the bystander decision-making model.
- Identify safe and effective strategies of intervention
- Increase their empathy for survivors of sexual and gender-based violence
- Gain knowledge of resources that are available to support bystanders and those who have been affected by sexual and gender-based violence
This session is presented by Interval House Hamilton and hosted by the Office of Equity, Diversity & Inclusion.
Interval House of Hamilton is a non-profit shelter for women and children fleeing relationship violence/abuse. In addition to being an emergency shelter program, they also run community-based programs through a gender, intersectional and inclusive evidence-based analysis.
Prior to registering for the session, please ensure you have spoken with your manager and received approval to attend.
Please note that upon registration you will receive an Outlook invite as well as a confirmation email that your manager will be copied on. The confirmation email will include the webinar link required to access this session.
If you require assistance using My Learning, please visit MyMohawk for User Guides & Online Tutorials or by visiting the following path (MyMohawk > Human Resources > Professional Development > My Learning).
If you have any questions or concerns, please email the professional development team.
If Accommodations or Communication supports are required, please contact the Professional Development Team.