Emergency Notification System Test - Fennell and Stoney Creek Campuses
Mohawk College will be conducting a test of the Emergency Notification System at the Fennell and Stoney Creek campuses.
This test will occur on Tuesday September 29, 2020.
This is done as part of Mohawk College’s commitment to safety, security and emergency management. Please watch this short video as to what this test involves.
Students and employees at the IAHS Campus should follow the emergency procedures outlined by McMaster University.
The 5-minute test will put Mohawk’s Emergency Notification System to the test. As our buildings are large and complex, we utilize a number of methods to send an emergency notification. We do not expect you to personally receive all of these messages, but in an emergency situation we expect you to be notified by at least one of these methods. During the system test, the following systems will be activated:
- Mohawk’s SAM - Security Alert Messenger service will send text messages. If you have not yet registered your smartphone for instant text messages, please log on to SAM through the MyMohawk homepage.
- Mohawk Safety App will display a “lockdown test” push message. The Mohawk Safety App is available in the App Store: iTunes and GooglePlay.
- PA System: A distinctive audible horn with recorded message will sound over the PA system. In an emergency, this message is on a continuous loop.
- Alertus Desktop notices will be displayed on all college-connected desktop computers.
- Stoney Creek Lockdown Lights: Shops areas will have their lockdown lights (red or amber) illuminated.
- Lockdown Test Message will be displayed on the Mohawk College Website – home page.
- Beacon display units in the Radio Station, Theatre and other unique areas of the campus will be activated.
- Hallway Display Screens will display emergency messages – we will be testing a new system at Fennell campus during this exercise.
As part of our Notification System test, we will be including an education component through the college public address system. The education component will provide education on how to respond to Lockdown Emergencies and Hold and Secure messages.
For more information on how to respond to these emergencies, visit our website.
If you have any questions, comments, or concerns about the Emergency Notification System test, please contact:
Catherine O’Donnell, Director, Security Services email@example.com
Thank you for your patience and understanding.
Mohawk College Security