Health & Safety Moment - Self Care
Health & Safety Moment
We often think of ‘self-care’ as a connection to yourself, with special attention to a physical sense of well-being. Yet, within the workplace, self-care extends to being attuned to how you can be the most constructive, authentic and effective version of yourself.
Why is it important to practice self-care at work?
Practicing self-care at work is an important part of combating feelings of stress or burnout. When you find ways to manage your mental and physical health in the workplace, you can feel more relaxed and focused throughout the day. Self-care is also a way to remind yourself that you are a person before an employee. By incorporating a self-care routine into your day, you can feel more centered and satisfied with your workday.
How to Practice Self Care at Work
Getting into a self-care mindset can be tough — but at the end of the day, it boils down to making yourself and your needs a priority. Some ways to practice self care at work are:
• Drink water throughout the day: It’s advised that we drink a half gallon of water per day to stay hydrated and energized.
• Be transparent with your boss about your emotional needs: Keeping your boss in the loop with your emotional needs can help them support you.
• Use your breaks: Treat a break like a break. Walk away from your desk and use that time to recharge instead of working from your desk.
• Eat healthy snacks while working: A healthy diet can boost your mood and help you feel lighter and more energized.
• Make your desk a relaxing space: Getting rid of clutter in your work area can help you focus and feel less stressed.
• Ask for help when you need it: Your coworkers and boss are there for you when you need them and are a good resource for when you need help.