20:00 PM

Health & Safety Moment - Slips,Trips & Falls

Slip, trip, fall

How do falls happen?

Statistics show that the majority (70%) of falls happen on the same level resulting from slips and trips. The remaining 30% are falls from a height.


Slips happen where there is too little friction or traction between the footwear and the walking surface. Common causes of slips are wet or oily surfaces, occasional spills, loose, unanchored rugs or mats, flooring or other walking surfaces that do not have same degree of traction in all areas.


Trips happen when your foot collides (strikes, hits) an object causing you to lose the balance and, eventually fall. Common causes of tripping are obstructed view, poor lighting, clutter in your way, wrinkled carpeting, uncovered cables, bottom drawers not being closed, uneven, etc.

Why is prevention of slips, trips and falls important?

In Canada over 42,000 workers get injured annually due to fall incidents. This number represents about 18% of the "time-loss injuries" that were accepted by workers' compensation boards or commissions across Canada (based on statistics from Association of Workers' Compensation Boards of Canada, 2016).

How to prevent falls due to slips and trips?

Both slips and trips result from some a kind of unintended or unexpected change in the contact between the feet and the ground or walking surface. This fact shows that good housekeeping, quality of walking surfaces (flooring), selection of proper footwear, and appropriate pace of walking are critical for preventing fall incidents.