Health and Safety is Everyone's Responsibility
The health and safety of our campus and the broader Hamilton community is a shared responsibility. By following the direction of Public Health authorities and adhering to safety protocols on campus, at placements and in the community, we can all do our part to reduce the spread of COVID-19.
One of the best ways to prevent the spread of illness is to practice good personal hygiene. Standard practices to reduce the spread of respiratory viruses include:
1. Wash your hands often
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds especially after you have been in a public place, or after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing.
- It’s especially important to wash:
- Before eating or preparing food
- Before touching your face
- Before entering and leaving a classroom, workshop or lab space
- After using the restroom
- Before leaving a public place
- After blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing
- After handling your mask
- If soap and water are not readily available, use a hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol. Cover all surfaces of your hands and rub them together until they feel dry.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
2. Avoid sharing items
It important to avoid sharing items such as:
- Food and beverages
- Papers – handouts should be electronic
- Writing utensils (pens & pencils)
- Tools and lab equipment
- Work spaces
If you do need share items, it is important that items and surfaces are disinfected before and after they are shared. Disinfectant solution/ disposable wipes and gloves are provided in classrooms, workshops and labs for this reason. You should also wash your hands after using any shared item.
3. Wear a Mask or Face Covering
The use of masks and face coverings is mandatory in the City of Hamilton and at all of Mohawk College’s campuses and learning hubs.
4. Practice Physical Distancing
Stay 2 metres (6 feet) apart from others, and avoid gatherings where physical distancing is not taking place. If you are at a social gathering, be safe and do not share things such as drinks, cigarettes, vaping devices and other related items.
Mohawk College takes the health and safety of our college community very seriously. We expect all members of our community to do their part in reducing the spread of COVID-19. Failure by students or employees to follow any of the above-mentioned protocols may result in a formal review by the Student Rights and Responsibilities Office (SSRO) or Human Resources, respectively.
Understand your role. Follow the rules. Stay safe.