Mohawk College continues to be a leader in applied research - national research rankings
Top-3 rankings for paid student researchers, total industry research income
Mohawk College continues to be a leader in college research in Canada, according to national rankings released today.
Reflecting the success of IDEAWORKS, the college’s applied research division, Mohawk College was ranked 12th in Canada, and 5th in Ontario, in the Research Infosource annual rankings for 2022. In two categories (the number of paid student researchers and total industry research income), Mohawk was ranked third in the country.
Eleven years ago, when the college first expanded its applied research activities, it ranked 33rd in the country.
“Mohawk College remains committed to supporting our industry partners with one of the best applied research teams in the country at IDEAWORKS,” said Ron J. McKerlie, Mohawk College President and CEO. “We are happy that their efforts continue to be recognized and we are especially proud to know they are among the very best in Canada when it comes to supporting student researchers and in engaging industry partners in projects. These results reflect the dedication to excellence that can be found in all areas of IDEAWORKS activity.”
In addition to its overall finish, Mohawk was considered among the top-ranked large colleges in Canada in three categories:
- 3rd - Paid Student Researchers – IDEAWORKS employed 134 students in applied research projects.
- 3rd - Industry Research Income – Mohawk applied research projects raised more than $1.9 million last year. (Industry grants and contracts represented 50% of total research income).
- 4th - Research Partnerships – 134 partners collaborated with the college on applied research projects.
“We are proud of the strength and quality of research done by our teams during this period. Despite the challenges posed by remote work and limited access to college labs during public health restrictions, IDEAWORKS researchers were able to support dozens of important projects and even expand the college’s research into exciting new areas,” said Dean of Applied Research Cristina Gage. “Maintaining top rankings in student researchers and in industry research revenue is satisfying - it is a testament to the value we place on industry partnership and supporting students as they gain hands-on experience in the field.”
Read the full report of Mohawk’s status in the annual report and a full list of the Research Infosource rankings.
Mohawk students, faculty and staff collaborate with industry, government and community partners on applied research projects in a number of key areas:
- MEDIC (mHealth and eHealth Development and Innovation Centre)
- AMIC (Additive Manufacturing Innovation Centre)
- EPIC (Energy and Power Innovation Centre)
- MTIC (Medical Technologies Innovation Centre)
- Augmented and Virtual Reality (XR)
- Industrial Internet of Things Research*
- Sustainability Research*
- URSIC (Unmanned and Remote Sensing Innovation Centre)
- Digital Transformation
- Student Success & Social Innovation
- Centre for Climate Change Management
(*includes research chair)