Mohawk releases sustainability impact report
April 22 marks the 50th anniversary of Earth Day. To celebrate, Mohawk is releasing its 2018/2019 Sustainability Report. The report showcases Mohawk’s achievements in reducing our impact on the planet while improving our campus and community.
The report highlights the work that has been done to improve the operational sustainability of our campuses, build a culture of sustainability through engagement and participation, and integrate sustainability into curriculum and research. The report also celebrates the successes of the Environmental Management Plan (EMP 2.0), Mohawk’s plan for achieving our greenhouse gas emissions reduction targets. Building on these successes, the college will develop a new sustainability plan to guide the next five years of college operations.
Fast facts from the sustainability report:
- Mohawk was the first college in Ontario to adopt a comprehensive environmental management plan in 2011
- Achieved 63% reduction in direct campus carbon emissions in 2018/2019 compared to the 2007 baseline
- More than 6,000 students, employees and alumni engaged through sustainability outreach in 2018/2019
- Built Canada's largest and the region's first Zero Carbon institutional building, The Joyce Centre for Partnership & Innovation
- Fifteen sustainability-focused applied research projects launched through IDEAWORKS
- Centre for Climate Change Management established in 2017 as a regional hub for climate action
Learn more at mohawkcollege.ca/sustainability